Dr Nigel Meadows
Dr Meadows is a senior paediatric gastroenterologist in the Clinical Academic Unit of Adult and paediatric gastroenterology at The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. This is probably one of the largest centres in Europe, and treats a wide range of gastroenterological conditions.
He trained at Charing Cross Hospital in West London and moved to the East End where he has spent most of his clinical life, apart from a short spell in Sydney Australia, from where he was encouraged to return.
Although still active in general paediatrics he specialises in most aspects of paediatric gastroenterology. His major interests are the nutritional support of children and all aspects of feeding difficulties. He is an acknowledged lecturer on these subjects.
The feeding clinic at The Royal London is a renowned referral centre for feeding difficulties. This is a multidisciplinary clinic with speech and language therapy, dietetics, and psychology. This clinic has focused on all areas of feeding problems associated with faltering growth.
He is an Honorary Senior Lecturer in the Institute of Neurogastroenterology at the Wingate Institute, which is part of Queen Mary Westfield University. In association with Prof Daniel Sifrim, and Dr David Rawat he leads the newly established department of Paediatric GI physiology. This provides a child friendly environment for those children undergoing investigation of gastrointestinal dysmotility.
In addition to his private paediatric gastroenterology practice, he is the head of the paediatric nutrition team at the Harley Street Clinic. This multidisciplinary team supervises the TPN requirements in both the cardiac, and general PICU wards.
- Beach RC, Robinson MJ, Meadows NJ. A survey of integrated monitors for neonatal intensive care. Journal of Medical Engineering andTechnology. 1981; 5:234-237
- Meadows NJ, Ruse W, Keeling PWN, Thomson R. Zinc in small babies. Lancet. 1981;2:1135-1137
- Meadows NJ, Ruse W, Keeling PWN, Thomson R. Peripheral blood leucocyte zinc depletion in babies with intrauterine growth retardation. Arch Dis Child. 1983;58:807
- Meadows N, Grainger SL, Keeling PWN, Thomson R. Oral iron and the bioavailability of zinc. BMJ.1983;287;:10113-1014
- Meadows NJ. The vomiting baby. Maternal and Child Health. 1983;6:266-267
- Meadows NJ. Zinc in pregnancy. Maternal and Child Health. 1984;6:266-267
- Meadows NJ, Cunnane SC, Keeling PWN, Thompson R. The diagnosis of nucleated tissue depletion in man and its effect upon pregnancy. In Zinc Deficiency in Human Subjects. Eds Prasad A, Aggatt P. Progress in Clinical and Biological Research. Vol 129 .11983;139-147
- Tucker GS. Jacobsen SG, MeadowsNJ, Keeling PWN, Thompson R. Zinc
- Meadows NJ. The pros and cons of vitamin supplements. Mimms Magazine. 1985; March:22-24
- Meadows NJ, Till JA, Leaf A, Hughes E, Janie B, Larcher V. Screening for intrauterine growth retardation using the ratio of mid-arm circumference to occipitofrontal circumference. BMJ. 1986;292:1039-1040
- Meadows NJ. Paediatric Nutrition. Current Opinions In Gastroenterology. 1985;1:323-329
- Cunnane SC, Meadows NJ, Keeling PWN, Thompson R, Crawford MA. Lipid incorporation of linoleic acid and arachidonic acid by peripheral blood leucocytes in human pregnancy at term. Nutrition Research. 1985;5:373-379
- Meadows NJ. Nutrition and Paediatric Gastroenterology. Current Opinions In Gastroenterology. 1986;2:282-289
- Crawford MA, Doyle W, Drury PJ, Meadows NJ. Food intakes of children, the DHSS, and the prevention of heart disease. Nutrition and Health. 1987;5:65-67
- Jacobsen SG, Meadows NJ, Keeling PWN, Mitchell WD, Thompson R. Rod cell retinal dysfunction in cats with zinc depletion: comparison with taurine depletion. ClinSci. 1986;71:559-564
- Meadows NJ. Nutrition and Paediatric Gastroenterology. Current Opinions in Gastroenterology. 1987;3:326-333
- Crawford MA, Doyle W, Meadows NJ. Gender differences in fetal growth. Human Reproduction. 1987;2:517-520
- Meadows NJ. Peadiatrics. Current Opinions In Gastroenterology. 1988;4:315-324
- Crawford MA, Costeloe K, Doyle W, Leaf A, Meadows NJ. N-6 and n-3 fatty acids in the food chain. Health Effects of Fish Oils. 1989:219-238
- Mills A, Meadows NJ. Screening for anaemia: Evaluation of an haemoglobinometer. Arch Dis Child. 1989;64:1468-1471
- Meadows NJ. Peripheral blood leucocyte zinc levels and the outcome of pregnancy. MD Thesis. University of London. 1990.
- Crawford MA, Doyle W, Lennon EA, Meadows NJ. Potential diagnostic value of the umbilical artery as definition of a neural fatty acid status of fetus during its growth. The umbilical artery as a tool. Biochemical Society Transactions. 1990;18:761-776
- Reynolds AP, Kiely E, Meadows NJ. Manganese in long term paediatric parenteral nutrition. Arch Dis Child.1994;71:527-528
- Meadows NJ. Are reflux related strictures in children different from those in adults? In The Oesophageal Mucosa 300 questions to 300 answers. Excerpta Medica International Congress series.1052 Elsevier Science. 1994. 732-733
- Beattie M, Viera MC, Phillips A Meadows NJ, Walker-Smith JA. Carbohydrate intolerance after rota virus gastroenteritis: a rare problem in the 1990"s. Arch Dis Child.1995;72:464 (letter)
- Lee WS, Fabiani E, Beattie RM, Meadows NJ, Phillips AD, Walker-Smith JA. Liquid paraffin a gentle approach to severe constipation in childhood. Illustrated Case Reports In Gastroenterology. 1995;2:1-1-106
- Heuschkel R, Phillips A, Meadows NJ Walker-Smith JA. Cystic fibrosis diagnosis by small bowel biopsy. Illustrated case reports in Gastroenterology. 1995;2:123-127
- Murch S, Winyard P, Koletzko S, Wehner B, Cheema H, Risdon R, Phillips AD, Meadows NJ, Klein N, Walker-Smith JA. Congenital enterocyte heparin sulphate deficiency with massive loss, secretory diarrhea and malnutrition. Lancet. 1996;347:1218-1222
- Fell J, Reynolds AJ, Meadows NJ, Khan K, Long SJ, Quagherbeur G, Taylor WJ, Milla PJ. Manganese toxicity in children receiving long-term parenteral nutrition. Lancet 1996;347:1218-12222
- Lim S, Dohil R, Meadows NJ, Sanderson I. Treatment of orofacial and Ileo-colonic Crohns disease with total and parenteral nutrition. J Royal Soc Med.1998.91:489-490
- Meadows NJ. Monitoring and Complications of Parenteral nutrition. Current Opinion in gastroenterology. 1998;14:10: 806-809.
- Elia M, Micklewight A, Schaffer J, Wood S, Russell C, Wheatley C, Scott D, Thomas A, Holden C, Stratton R, Meadows NJ. Home artificial nutrition: does the national picture mirror your local practice? British Journal of Homecare.1999. March/April;66-67
- Murch S, Fertleman C, Rodrigues C, Morgan G. Klein N, Meadows NJ, Savidge T, Phillips A, Walker-Smith JA. Autoimmune enteropathy with distinct mucosal features in T cell activation deficiency: The contribution of T cells to the mucosal lesion. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 1999
- Chalmandani E, Meadows NJ, Patel P, Johnson A, Benjamin N. Plasma nitrate concentrations in children with infections and non-infective diarrhea. JPGN 2001; 32:423-427
- Jones B, Jones E, Bonney S, Patel, P, Rudling M, Myrdi U, Naik S, Meadows NJ, Quatrone A, Islam S, Freemont S, Scott J, Shoulders C. Mutations in a SAR1 GPase of COPU vesicles are associated with lipid absorption disorders. Nature Genetics. 2003;34:29-31
- Allaker RP, YoungKA, Hardie JM, Domizio P, Meadows NJ. Prevelance of helicobacter pylori at oral and gastrointestinal sites in children; evidence of possible oral-oral transmission. J med Microbiol. 2002 Apr;51 (4);312-7
- Seerat I, Yazaki E, Parsons V, Meadows NJ. Psychological feeding disorder? (discussion and diagnosis) Acta Paedaitr. 2008 Jun;97(6) : 627
- Seerat I, Yazaki E, Parsons V, Meadows NJ. Case 1: Psychological feeding disorders? (case presentation). Acta Paediatr. 2008 jun;97(6):692-3
- Naik S, Smith F, Ho J, Croft NM, Domizio P, Price E, Sanderson IR, Meadows NJ. Staphylococcal enterotoxins G and I, a cause of severe but reversible neonatal enteropathy. Clin Gasteroenterol Hepatol. 2008 Feb;6(2)251-4.
- Diarhoea in children under 5 years. NICE guidelines. April 2010
- Meadows NJ, Cunnane SC, Keeling PWN, Thompson R. The diagnosis of nucleated tissue zinc depletion in man and its effects upon pregnancy. In Zinc deficiency in human subjects, EDs Prasad A, Aggett P. Progress in Clinical and Biological Research.vOL129. 11983;139-147
- Meadows NJ, Walkers-Smith JA. Chronic diarrhea. Nutrition in Paediatrics. Basic science and Clinical Applications. Eds Walker WA, Watkins JB. Little Brown and co. 1985;541-561
- Meadows NJ. Gastroenterology. In Jolly's Diseases of Children. Ed Malcolm Levene. Blackwell Scientific Publications. 1991: 191-214
- Bisset CWM, MeadowsNJ. Home parenteral nutrition in children. Paediatric Gastroenterology. Eds Walker-smith, Kirschner. Clinical Paediatrics. 1994:24:705-721
- Meadows NJ. Gastrointestinal haemorrhage. In Practical Paediatric Gastroenterology. Eds Walker-Smith, Hamilton, Walker. DeckerInc. 1996.44-51
- Meadows NJ. Home parenteral Nutrition. In Biallieres Clinical Paediatrics. Ed SW Ryan.VOL5. No 2. 1997:189-201
- Meadows NJ. The Late effects of pediatric cancer treatment on the gastrointestinal tract. In Late Effects of childhood cancer. Eds Wallace and Green. Arnold. 2004: 162-169
- Meadows NJ. Iron supplements impairs oral availability of zinc. BSG 1982:T:16
- Meadows NJ. Zinc and small babies. Association of Physicians.1982
- Meadows NJ. Zinc in children with Crohns disease. BSPGHN 1982
- Meadows NJ. Glucose polymer intolerance a new problem?. Australian College of paediatrics. 1983
- Costeloe K, Lennon Crawford MA, Doyle W. Meadows NJ. Essential fatty acid status in the third trimester. ESPGHAN. 1989
- Leaf A, Costeloe K, Meadows NJ. Factors affecting long chain fatty acid status in the preterm infant. PRS 1990
- Reynolds T, Meadows NJ. Manganese toxicity in paediatric TPN. Focus on biochemistry meeting. Norway July 1994
- Murch S, Phillips A, Meadows NJ, Klein N, Walker-Smith JA. Do sulphated glycosaminoglycans limit albumin leakage through the intestinal epithelium. JPGHN.1993 ESPGHAN.
- Fabiani, Beattie M, Kamath R, Meadows NJ, Walker-Smith JA. Liquid paraffin a gentle approach to severe constipation PRS Sept 1994.
- Murch S, Meadows NJ, Morgan G, Phillips A, Walker-Smith JA. Severe enteropathy and immunodeficiency in interleukin 2 deficiency. JPGHN.1994:19:3335. A24
- Reynolds AP, Meadows NJ, MILLA P. Paediatric TPN and hypermanganesaemia. Gut. 1994 suppl 5 vol 35:T132 (BSG)
- Dollery C, Bauraind O, Long S, Meadows NJ, Sullivan I, Milla P. Parenteral nutrition and pulmonary embolus an unacceptable risk. BPA.1994. vol 66:66:37
- Fell J, Meadows NJ, Khan K, Reynold A, Long S, Taylor W, Kingsley D, Milla P. Neurological and hepatic consequences of manganese toxicity in children receiving prolonged courses of total parenteral nutrition. JPGHN.1995:20:452.
- Elia M, Holden C, Meadows NJ, Miclewright A, Russel C, Shaffer J, Thomas A, Weatley C, Wood S (working group of the British Artificial Nutrition Survey 1997) National database of patients on artificial nutrition support. RCPCH. York 1997
- Young KA, Meadows NJ, Dohil R, Domizio P, Allaker RP, Hardie JM. Does H. pylori spread in children by oral-oral transmission? 11th workshop of the European Helicobacter pylori study group. 3-5 sept.1998.Budapest. Hungary.
Invited lectures last 5 years
- Feb 2011 - RSM/RCPCH - Prescribing enteral and parenteral feeds in children
- July - RSM/RCPCH - Feeding difficulties
- Dec 2012 - BSGHAN/BAPEN - Oral problems with feeding handicapped
- June 22/12 - South East Paediatric meeting Chelmsford 'little vomiters'
- Sept 2013 - Chronic Diarrhoea. Nutrition Course Academy of Paediatric Gastroenterology ICH
- August 2013 - Feeding difficulties in children RCPH workshop